Thursday 12 July 2012

Review

                                                        
REVIEW

Overall I have found the last year both exciting and a struggle, yet I managed to achieve quite a lot.  I found new ways of thinking and expanding on new ideas by working at a local quarry site where I have installed a public interactive water feature.  This is a Land/Earth Art sculpture.  It incorporates some natural waste materials and objects from around the quarry site as well as from local shops and waste recycling dumps.

The installation has been commissioned by Mike Gale, Operations Manager, Tarmac, Atherstone.  A pedal cycle and a hand pump have been used to lift the water up and over the installation and back to its source; a dug out pond hole filled with rain water.

Having broadened my horizons, I was able to expand my ‘Inside Out, Outside In’ project to include the whole aspect of land/earth art and what it represents to the individual artist.  My personal journey has enabled me to discover and understand the connection between the artist and his work with nature, having been introduced into the landscape without damaging the environmental habitat.

My research involved visiting such web sites as www.guggenheimcollection.org to research Land/Earth artists such as Robert Smithson, Nancy Holt, Michael Heizer, and Giuseppe Pennone.  I have visited libraries in Nuneaton, Atherstone, Birmingham City and NWHC.  I have also visited the Ikon Gallery, Birmingham, and the Tate, London.

Unfortunately, because of illness and my disabilities, I have been unable to complete by the end of term, the xylophone, which was to accompany the installation as a bit of fun for the public to make their own kind of rock music.

No comments:

Post a Comment